Research and technology
Primarily concerned about the technological excellence of its products and services, LPC has been operating using innovative production methods as well as innovative control systems.
Since its establishment, the company has been continuously investing in Research and Development, participating in European and National programmes, collaborating and cooperating with higher education institutions and research centres in Greece and abroad. Its collaborations with institutions such as the National Technical University of Athens, the University of Athens, the University of Patras, the University of the Aegean, the Technical University of Crete, the University of Cambridge, the Imperial College of London, the University of Karlsruhe as well as with companies such as Siemens, Softing, ΑXENS, etc. have brought LPC at the cutting edge of technology, allowing it to apply methods and develop products that stand out for their quality.
Particularly, for the first time in Greece since 1981, LPC applied the method of catalytic hydrogenation at its lubricant refinery. Catalytic hydrogenation is a processing method which creates high-quality base mineral oils after it has achieved the chemical stability of the products and going beyond the technical standards, minimizes the residues of the production process offering the best control to the refinery. As a result, products of the best quality are produced with minimal charges to the environment. At the same time, the only lubricant production refinery in Greece belongs to LPC and is able to manufacture Bright Stock, a base lubricant of high viscosity, which is necessary for the composition of other lubricants and special performance products.
Over the years, LPC has invested in research in the areas of environmental protection and energy management as well as in production optimization. The company’s refinery has applied production processes that originate from relevant research programmes of the company such as:
- The innovative method of catalytic ethylene conversion.
- The integrated waste management process.
- The integrated industrial liquid waste management and water recycling.
Below you can find additional and more detailed information on the innovative research programs which the company implements and participates in.
- RESEARCH PROJECT ΕPΕΤ ΙΙ, Rise of the country’s reused mineral oils recycling efficiency, MOTOR OIL, University of Athens, University Of Patras, Institute of Chemical Engineering and High Temperature Chemical Processes, Technical University of Crete, 1996 – 1997.
- RESEARCH PROJECT, Integrated physicochemical and biological process for regenerated mineral oils management, National Technical University of Athens, University of Patras, 1998 – 2001.
- RESEARCH PROJECT ΒΕΤΑ, Industrial research for the Development of Integrated Control System based on wireless/wired networks to be applied in the production process, University of Patras, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Applications Laboratory, 2007 – 2010
- RESEARCH PROJECT Environmental Research Laboratory (EREL), Integrated industrial liquid mineral oil waste management: Mineral oil recovery and water recycling, Greek Foundation for Research and Technology/Institute of Chemical Engineering and High Temperature Chemical Processes, 2001 – 2004
- RESEARCH PROJECT RFieldbus, Wireless industrial automation networks. SIEMENS, IST, ISEP, SOFTING, 2002 – 2005.
- LIFE ICOL, Innovative Collection System and Lifecycle Assessment for Waste Lubricating Oils, Environmental Planning and Management (ΕPΕΜ), 2002 – 2005.
- RESEARCH PROJECT DADES, Waste Management with Internet Applications and Systems, Waste Framework Directive (WFD), 2004 – 2007.
- RESEARCH PROJECT SIMA, Smart System for Two-way Telecommunications and Telematic Vehicle Fleet Management of Oil Products Transportation throughout the Circuit, Industrial Systems Institute, 2007 – 2009.
- RESEARCH PROJECT, Improvement of upgrading operations for used lubricants via catalytic hydrotreating, National Technical University of Athens, Technical University of Crete, 2009.
- LIFE ELINA, Integrated Green Life-Cycle Management of Waste Oils and Petroleum Residues (ELINA) (LIFE), Ecological Recycling Society (OAE), ΑΝΕΚ, 2011 – 2014.
- ECO INNOVATION, MARE, Market Promotion and Development of Eco-Processes for Waste Oils and Petroleum Residues, Ecological Recycling Society (OAE), 2011 – 2014.
- PROGRAM: RESEARCH-CREATE-INNOVATE, PROJECT: “APOFASI (DECISION)” on the Development of a Portable Optical Spectroscopy System for Detection of Liquid Fuel Adulteration -31 / 7 / 2018-30-30 / 7/2021